Sunday 7 April 2013

February 2013 - Classical Music

Bach, J.S.- Ärgre dich, o Seele, nicht (Do not vex yourself, my soul)
Beethoven - Piano Sonatas 24 and 25
Dvorak - String Quartet No.13
Holmboe - String Quartet No.11, 'Rustico'
Janacek
  • Violin Sonata
  • Romance for violin and piano
  • Dumka for violin and piano
Poulenc
  • Suite pour piano
  • Theme varie
  • Improvisations 11 and 12
For anyone who bothers to follow this blog closely (ie, myself), the most notable thing here is the completion of my Bach cantata box.  In fits and starts, it took me almost 11 months to listen to 34 new works.  Of course I may have been slowed down by the avalanche of other new works I purchased despite having 10 new discs of Bach to listen to!
The amazing thing, though, is how many more of these cantatas Bach wrote.  This chronological survey has only taken me into the first couple of months of the peak period, where for several years he was producing a new work most weeks.
I am already seeing if I can find the next box in the series.  It's hard to come by so I may have to buy the discs separately.
Elsewhere, Beethoven continues to prove himself consistently as I sporadically work through his chronology (or at least his opus numbers).  These piano sonatas reminded me that he isn't given enough credit for being a lyrical composer, or a light-hearted one.  Yes, he can be incredibly dramatic and part of the reason for his reputation is that he created music with an astonishing muscularity, but that's not the only quality his music possesses.  The piano sonata (no.24) in F sharp major has an exceptionally lovely first movement that sings and caresses rather than confronts.

1 comment:

  1. I think you've earned applause, in making your way through all the Cantatas in 11 mos.! That is a project which has been essentially deferred from me by Other Considerations . . . but when the Teldec Bach Edition on a flash drive arrives, the Cantatas will be a relatively high priority.

    Cheers, and more good listening to you!

    ReplyDelete