Friday 16 August 2013

June 2013 - Classical Music

Bach, J.S. - Keyboard Partitas 1 to 3
Dvorak - String Quartets 7 and 8

There's not really much to say here, other than there were 2 sets of classical works I decided to take with me on my travels, and at first I didn't get terribly far with listening to them.

Travel can be very exciting and adventurous, but fundamentally it's a disruption of your normal routines.  And I kept finding that I wasn't in the mood for listening to much music.  Anytime I took my headphones thinking that I might listen to some music while I was walking around, it didn't happen.  My normal habit of listening to music at night was almost entirely abandoned, and if I did listen it would only be when I was really tired and I would fall asleep before the end.

Eventually I worked out that the best time to listen was when I was travelling between cities, on a plane or train or bus, and had little else to do except perhaps stare out a window.

Even then I was quite liable to fall asleep, particular on a bus or train. A bit of gentle rocking motion and I would soon be nodding off.

So really, the story of the month was not listening to music. I got very stuck on the second Partita, and I lost count of how many times I started listening to Dvorak's 7th quartet but didn't reach the end.  This isn't really a reflection on the music, it's a reflection on the circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment