Friday 2 January 2015

Popular Music - November 2014

Tori Amos
  • Midwinter Graces
  • Unrepentant Geraldines
  • Audience bootlegs - Adelaide 16 November 2014, Brisbane 21 November 2014
The Badloves - Holy Roadside
Bat for Lashes - Two Suns
Alex Lloyd - Watching Angels Mend
Aimee Mann - Bachelor No.2
No Doubt - The Singles (1992-2003)
R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
The Rolling Stones - Forty Licks
Something for Kate - The Official Fiction
Thom Yorke - Tomorrow's Modern Boxes

I really don't have a lot to say about these, and I'm not going to force it. But I will say two things.

Firstly, Watching Angels Mend is a very nice little album that it was a pleasure to reacquaint myself with. It was Alex Lloyd's biggest commercial success. I'm minded to explore his other work. I have a feeling that his first album might have been the most daring, but it's worth confirming that rather than just relying on vague memories from the radio.

Secondly, The Official Fiction proved itself invaluable on an emotionally difficult day. I've spoken at least once before about the album's unique qualities, it's combination of intensity and brightness, and I was very grateful that I had added it to my iPhone before going on a journey during November. It once again showed why it needed to be in my music library.



No comments:

Post a Comment