Thursday 19 February 2015

Classical Music - January 2015

Bach, J.S. - Was willst du dich betrĂ¼ben (Why do you let yourself be distressed)
Bridge
  • Oration (Concerto Elegiaco)
  • Allegro moderato for strings
  • Rebus Overture
  • Lament
  • A Prayer
Chopin - Etudes, op.10
Debussy - La Mer
Mozart - String Quartet No.19, 'Dissonance'
Shostakovich - String Quartet No.5

There wasn't an enormous amount of classical music activity in January, and most of it was right towards the end of the month. I picked up where I'd left off with the Chopin and Mozart, revisited another disc of Bridge's orchestral music (one of the more substantial discs in the set, with Oration being one of the composer's biggest and boldest works), marked another week of Bach's second year in Leipzig off the calendar, listened to one of my favourite Shostakovich string quartets for the first time in a while, and introduced myself to La Mer.

Yes, introduced. I know it's supposed to be one of the great classics of the period and one of Debussy's finest pieces, but as far as I know I hadn't heard it before.

Yeah, it's pretty good. Lots of effective orchestral colour. And, um, that's about all I have to say about it at present. Debussy often doesn't seem to stay with me in the way that some composers do. I suspect that has to do with his approach to form, which doesn't contain some of the signals I usually register. Still, I definitely think he's worth listening to.

No comments:

Post a Comment