Tuesday 15 September 2015

Classical Music - July 2015

Bach, J.S - Wo soll ich fliehen hin (Where shall I flee)
Beethoven - Piano Trio No.7 (op.97)
Chopin
  • 4 Mazurkas, op.33
  • 3 Waltzes, op.34
  • Variation for 'Hexameron'
Faure - String Quartet
Haydn - Symphonies 85, 91 and 97
Haydn - 6 String Quartets, Op.76 (the 'Erdődy' quartets)
Holmboe - Sonatina for oboe and piano
Janacek - Violin Sonata
Schubert - Piano Sonata in B, D.575
Schumann - Humoreske in B flat
Shostakovich - String Quartet No.12
Sibelius - Pohjola's Daughter
Szymanowski - Fantasy for piano, op.14
Vine - String Quartet No.4

The shift in my listening in July towards popular music is shown by the shortness of this list compared to the classical lists for May and June. It should be pointed out, though, that those lists were sometimes inflated by listening to many smaller works. Most of the entries for this month are relatively substantial pieces.

The Beethoven piano trio, often known as the 'Archduke', was definitely a highlight. I think it was one of those pieces I knew about without having necessarily ever heard it. I was glad to make its acquaintance and will be reaching for it again when I want a bit of sunshine in my Beethoven.

Vine's string quartet is also worth a mention, because when I first listened to the Goldner Quartet's recording of the quartets it was No.3 that jumped out and grabbed me by the throat. Now, however, as I listen to each quartet quite separately from its fellows, I have found No.4 quite impressive as well. I have Vine's symphonies on my shopping list (and at some point I need to choose a recording of his completely fantastic first piano sonata, which is how I knew of him in the first place).

But the most substantial thing on this list is the entry for Haydn's op.76 quartets, which I inevitably listened to in full before lending the CDs to a friend. Some of the first classical music I ever bought on my own instead of listening to my father's record collection. First purchased on cassette, and then upgraded many years later. Still some very fine music indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment