Saturday 17 October 2015

Classical Music - September 2015

Dvorak - The Wild Dove
Haydn - Symphony No.91
Holmboe - Lagerkvist Songs (partial)
Holmboe - Contrasti
Nordentoft - Doruntine
Rachmaninov - Six Songs, op.38
Schumann - Piano Sonata No.2
Vivaldi - Longe mala, umbrae, terrores (Away with woes, shadows, terrors), RV 629

Well, pop music didn't dominate in September quite as much as it did in August, although I think I listened to most of these works late in the month.

The highlight of the month would have to be the Rachmaninov songs. The last collection that the composer wrote, they differ from previous sets in being all for the one voice (soprano) and so they have a certain unity - although I wouldn't think they represent a "song cycle".

They are also very good, with a real sensitivity to the words being set. That's true of most of Rachmaninov's songs - at least, that's the impression I get from the recording I've been working through, with 7 different singers and Iain Burnside as the pianist. It's been a real discovery of new repertoire, a different side of Rachmaninov that I didn't know, and it's been clear that a lot of work went into the recording project precisely because they wanted people to get to know this music. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who is curious.

2 comments:

  1. This is more in the realm of Popular Music, but I don't know if you're aware that Roisin Murphy has released her first solo album in eight years - and it's pretty great, at least in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am indeed aware. Checking it out is on the 'to do' list (as is updating this blog!)

      Delete