Sunday 2 October 2016

Popular Music - August 2016

Tori Amos
  • Under the Pink
  • Scarlet's Walk
  • Abnormally Attracted to Sin
  • Audience bootleg - Melbourne 15 November 2014
Kate Bush - The Red Shoes
Marc Cohn - The Rainy Season
Paul Dempsey - Strange Loop
Eskimo Joe - A Song is a City
Gotye - Making Mirrors
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Nik Kershaw - 15 Minutes
Level 42 - Running in the Family
Wendy Matthews - Cafe Naturale
Joni Mitchell - Mingus
Agnes Obel - Aventine
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
Seal - Human Being
Tears for Fears - The Seeds of Love
Tears for Fears - Elemental
Thrice - The Alchemy Index, Volume 1 (Fire)


Hmm. It would seem my sense of adventure is decreasing when it comes to popular music.

Admittedly, this list includes two albums that were new the month before (Paul Dempsey and Radiohead), which I was still exploring. But apart from that it feels like there are a heck of a lot of old favourites here. A little spurt of listening to Australian artists, an apparent fondness for artists associated with the 1980s...

It's all rather safe. Even if I'm listening to the Kate Bush album I listen to the least, it's still largely in my comfort zone.

I can't be adventurous all the time, because my notions of musical adventure require attentive listening and it takes a fair bit of time and energy. And a lot of my more exploratory listening in recent times has been on the classical music side.

Still, I'm a little bit disappointed. I don't see anything on this list that makes me think "ooh, I have something to say about that for the blog".

Sorry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment