Sunday 31 December 2017

Popular Music - September 2017

Tori Amos
  • Y Kant Tori Read
  • Little Earthquakes
  • Under the Pink
  • Boys for Pele
  • From the Choirgirl Hotel
  • To Venus and Back
  • Strange Little Girls
  • Scarlet's Walk
  • Abnormally Attracted to Sin
  • Native Invader
Bat for Lashes - Two Suns
Deborah Conway - Bitch Epic
FKA twigs - M3LL155X
Patty Griffin - Living With Ghosts
Joni Mitchell
  • Song to a Seagull
  • Clouds
  • Ladies of the Canyon
  • Blue
  • For the Roses
  • Court and Spark
  • The Hissing of Summer Lawns
  • Hejira
Thrice - Major/Minor
Rachael Yamagata - Happenstance
Rachael Yamagata - Chesapeake

Buried at the end of one of these long lists is the arrival of Tori Amos' new album, Native Invader. Which I am not quite ready to talk about.

Shortly after it arrived I made a small observation, that I now had 17 Tori Amos studio albums and 17 Joni Mitchell albums. This isn't strictly correct unless you use some slightly creative counting (one example appearing in the next paragraph), but it was good enough for me to start on another one of my "projects", pairing albums from the two artists. During September I got through 8 such pairs.

What happened shortly before Native Invader arrived was the surprise re-release of Tori Amos' first album Y Kant Tori Read (strictly speaking, the self-titled album of a band) on iTunes. Which I bought immediately, not because I think it's something amazing (it's enjoyable, but over-earnest and occasionally embarrassing) but because this was the first time owning a genuine copy was practicable. Tori had indicated shortly beforehand that the album would be released in a few months (which, given how long it's taken me to write this, I can say turned out to be referring to a physical CD release), so the progress of the album from embarrassing past history to officially embraced album was quite sudden.

Another new purchase was FKA twigs' EP, M3LL155X (reportedly to be pronounced "Melissa"). It's electronica, and often weird and glitchy electronica at that. I think I find it to be the strangest of all of FKA twigs' work so far, but I also found it sufficiently compelling to buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment