Monday 19 November 2018

Classical Music - July 2018

Bach, J.S.
  • Liebster Jesu, mein Verlangen (Dearest Jesus, my desire)
  • Alles nur nach Gottes Willen (Everything only according to God's will)
  • Ich bin vergnügt mit meinem Glücke (I am content with my fortune)
Barber - Summer Music
Beethoven - The Consecration of the House (complete)
Beethoven - String Quartets 12 and 16
Brahms - Variations on a Theme by Haydn (orchestral version)
Bridge - A Prayer
Dvorak
  • Legends (orchestral version)
  • String Quartet No.11
  • String quartet movement in F
  • Moderato in A for piano 
Faure - Cello Sonata No.1
Faure - Piano Quintet No.2 
Haydn - Symphony No.63
Mozart - Symphony No.35 "Haffner"
Mozart - String Quartet No.16 
Nørgård - Symphony No.3
Schumann - Symphony No.2
Shostakovich - Symphony No.8
Sibelius - Six songs, op.88 (the "flower cycle")
Stravinsky - Orpheus

There hasn't been a lot of evidence that I've been progressing through Stravinsky's works chronologically, because I don't own very many recordings and my self-imposed rules for this blog don't include things that I stream.

I'm sure that I'll be increasing the size of my Stravinsky collection, but in the meantime Orpheus is one of the works that had already made me realise there was far more to Stravinsky than the few early ballets that are famous. It's a very appealing score, often gentle and melodious.

There were a few symphonies in the mix this month, and a general focus on orchestral music which isn't entirely typical for me. But much of this was simply due to where my planned explorations of composers were up to. And there was no lack of quality in the music I was hearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment