Wednesday 6 September 2017

Popular Music - May 2017

Marc Cohn - Marc Cohn
Deborah Conway - Bitch Epic
Joni Mitchell - Shine
Nichole Nordeman - Woven & Spun
Agnes Obel - Aventine
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Sting - The Soul Cages
Tears for Fears - Elemental

Not a very large pop music list (yet again), but an interesting one because I clearly was trying to pull out some albums that I hadn't listened to for a long time.

But one of the albums on that list is quite startling to me. It seems scarcely possible that I spent nearly 5 years without listening to The Soul Cages, but that's what my magic spreadsheet is saying. And this blog is backing that up.

(Additional thought: oh my goodness, have I really been posting this blog for that long?)

I wrote about The Soul Cages back in 2011, and the things I said then are still accurate. How could they not be, given that I appear to have listened to the album twice more in 2012 before completely shelving it? There's been no real opportunity for my opinion of the album to change. All of the associations the album already held for me remain in place.

I just really, really don't listen to it very much any more. Despite considering it a masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment